Thursday, August 23, 2012

Griffin's Birth Story

I had an appointment with my midwife on my due date. After being three centimeters dialated for a few weeks, having Braxton hicks contractions for a couple of months, and contractions every night for weeks, I was anxious and ready to meet my little man. I knew he was going to be big, and while I am of the belief that God creates womens' bodies to deliver their children and I would be able to do so, I was very uncomfortable due to his size. I was against being induced, but decided to get my midwife to strip my membranes at my appointment. My midwife advised me to drink a "midwife cocktail" in order to ensure success, if Griffin was ready to arrive.
I spent the afternoon with Aaron and the kiddos as I had some mild cramping. At 5:30, Aaron made me the cocktail and I drank it (but did gag on the last sip). Pretty quickly I started to feel a bit off. About an hour later I threw up one time, but not bad. I felt better immediately, and began having contractions. They were not painful, but became regular quite quickly. They began coming closer and closer together, but still weren't that painful at all. So much so that I still wasn't sure if I was actually in labor or if they were going to stop. I talked to my mom and told her there wasn't any space between contractions....she definitely thought I should head to the hospital.
Aaron had taken the kiddos to Sonic, and at 8:30 I called him and told him to head home..that I was hurting and was sure I was in labor. I called my dear friend, Karen, and told her I thought I would be heading to the hospital that night. I called the midwives and waited to hear back from them...I am pretty sure whoever took my message did not relay it properly and I didn't hear back within an hour. By that time, I was in full blown myself. Aaron was being amazing and taking care of the kids and getting them down for the night. I finally heard back from the midwife and she told us to meet her at Vanderbilt. Karen came over to stay with Camden and Hadley until Aaron's mom got to our house. Karen was then going to come to the hospital and photograph the delivery. Sadly, she didn't make it to the hospital in time, but captured all of these amazing images for us right after his birth.
We left our apartment at 10:00 PM. The drive to the hospital wasn't fun at all. I was in so much pain, and feeling like I was never going to be able to have the drugfree delivery that I had hoped for. As I clenched onto the the side of the car, Aaron rubbed my back while he drove. We got to the ER at 10:20, and checked in while I continued to have back-to-back contractions in a wheelchair. We got up to triage in L&D at about 10:40. I had to pee horribly and did so, when I stood up I felt a lot of pressure. I laid down on my side on a glorified stretcher, and my midwife checked me...I was at 8cm! I was so elated to learn that I was in transition and would be to do this! A couple of minutes later I told her I needed to push. She told me to just listen to my body. I began pushing, and my water broke. As I pushed, Aaron held me. He was such a great support to me. I will never forget not feeling strong enough myself, but feeling his strength and support and knowing I could do it. Griffin William was born at 11:00 PM on his due date, August 21st, weighing 9lbs 7ozs and 22in. long.
He was big, perfect, and looked just like Hadley when they put him on my chest. One of the many reasons I hoped to have a natural delivery was to have the time with my husband. That time of depending on him and truly needing his support. I felt his love and support more than I ever could have imagined, and will never forget the night our little Griff Gruff joined our family.

1 comment:

jesica said...

So beautiful im still crying